For almost a decade now, I’ve slept with my body curled tight against my husband’s. I’ve woken to his heartbeat, and shared in his dreams.
We have every reason to celebrate, but still: I have some very mixed feelings about Valentine’s Day.
I don’t know why, but this year I’ve felt painfully aware of how the holiday pressures people into making commitments they’re not ready to make… They say words that don’t feel right yet. They buy rings they can’t afford, and make promises they’re not sure they want to keep. They make love that isn’t love at all … And that makes me sad.
If you’re reading this today and you’re feeling like a flower forced into bloom, I hope you’ll hear these words and take a little courage …
Five Things We Already Know, But Keep Forgetting:
1) You don’t have to spend this evening with anybody … especially not with someone who makes you feel less important than you are. It is completely acceptable to spend Valentine’s Day with a special friend, a dear family member, or in the pleasure of your own company.
2) You don’t have to feel pressured to sleep with someone just because they bought you a fancy dinner … And you certainly shouldn’t feel pressured to say words you don’t mean just because somebody else said them to you first… Your body is yours to give or to keep. Your heart is, too.
3) If social media makes you feel badly today, please — please — just disconnect for awhile. Take a walk in the woods. Hug somebody who seems lonely. Read something, or create something, or reconnect with an old friend. All these are better ways to spend an hour than scrolling and feeling Less Than.
4) Whatever you do, I hope you *don’t* pop the question just because your partner expects it, or because it seems like The Thing To Do. There will time for genuine love, for champagne and celebration, commitments and congrats. But the well-paid advertising folks in the jewelry industry don’t have the right to push you into thinking that it has to happen today… or tomorrow, either.
5) Last but not least: you deserve so much more than to be somebody’s fallback option … and your partner deserves better, too. **Don’t settle.**
Oh, friends: maybe it sounds sappy, but I believe that your Creator loves you dearly, and I’m saying a little prayer that you feel that love today…
You’re braver than you think and more beautiful than you know. ❤